Thursday, January 16, 2014

Car Talk!

I love that I started this blog for the support but also so that I have something to look back on years later.  I have read past post and am so glad that I have them and will have them for the kids to read when they are older.  This is my virtual journal except it just not private!  I used to journal as a child and still have a few of the things that I wrote.  I think it is really important to do and in today's electronic age, something that we do not do enough.  I am going to make an effort to encourage my kids to journal, they will love to read them when they are older.

Because we are such a busy family, many of my "deep" conversations with my kids are while driving to or from a sports practice, school event, doctors appointment, etc.  Today, I had both Trevor and Ella with me while driving to swim team practice. The topic- "When I get a phone....and by the way, how old do I have to be before I can have a phone?" My reply, "mom and dad will decide when you NEED a phone, why do you feel you NEED a phone?" Trevor response was to call his friend.  I reminded him that we have a home phone that he is more than welcome to use to call his friends.  I remember calling friends and talking on the phone and making plans with my friends, I get it!  He is getting to the age when these are important things for kids to do.  I reminded him that when I was a kid, we didn't have cell phones, or texting or the internet, and I survived.  His response, "but how will I know what my friends number is?"  We are so dependent on technology that my children do not know that you can use a pen and paper to write your friends number down!!! An electronic address book is their norm!  Okay, so that still is not a reason for me buy into getting my 9 year old a phone, I just need to go back to basics and teach him these skills!  Our conversation then continued to the costs of things.  Phones are expensive.  If I get you a phone and your older sister a phone that adds up!  I like our summer vacations and eating dinner out once in a while, if we had to pay the bill for at least 2 more cellphones, then we wouldnt have the money to do the "fun" things.  For some reason this led Trevor to ask if his dad and I are saving money for his college.... I was a bit shocked and wasn't wanting to discuss our financial plan with our 9 year old.  He insisted on knowing whether his we are planning for his future.  For the sake of argument I told him "No, we are not saving for your college.  Who do you think paid for mommy to go to school?"  They said, "your parents?" I told them, "no, I paid for my own school." This was shocking to him! He started to cry.  He said, "Mom, I only have $300, I only have 8 years left to save for college. How am I going to be able to go to college?" At which time Ella chimes in, "I am 7 and I don't have any savings!" Trevor says, "that's because you always spend your money!" Ella replies, "no!  I just never find any!" ****
So back to my conversation with Trevor. I explained to Trevor that when I went to college I paid for school by getting scholarships and grants. (And student loans) and this is what he will do too!  He said, "well I get all A's and B's now so I guess I will keep getting them so that I can go to college. And I am really good at football, I guess I will play football in high school so that I can go to college." (Playing football will never happen, I won't let it but I can let him dream). 

In the end, I was really glad that I gave him the response that I did.  I feel like I encouraged him to work hard at school and to think about how his commitment to his education will impact his future.  I have always told my kids that not going to college is not an option. I am glad that they have heard that message! We will continue our discussions about saving for the future and maybe we can develop a financial incentive plan for good grades and good behavior.

*** On a side note, this week $66 went missing from our kitchen counter.  I thought I was losing my mind and actually misplaced it.  We asked the kids and no one knew where the money went.  We searched and searched and couldn't find it!  I was certain that one of the girls had it in a play purse or with their toys.  Aliza is known for taking other peoples money and we searched her "private drawer" and her piggy bank.  We found $6 in her piggy bank.  She never has money because as soon as she does she spends it, so we knew that this was likely a portion of my money.  At bed time, after searching all weekend, Tom decided to look in her piggy bank himself.  Low and behold, there was $60 in there!  It felt so good to know that I hadn't misplaced it, but I was really disappointed that Aliza took it and wouldn't fess up! 

Here are some recent photos from our snow day adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment