Wednesday, December 3, 2008

This evening I was asked a question by my husband... He said, " Think back five years ago, when our only child was Aliza. What did you think your life would be like in five years?"

After giving that some thought, I have to say that I never would have put myself in the place that we are in today. I always wanted to have a lot of children, but I did not know if that was possible. I did not know if I could have "typical" children (by the way, I was still learning the "PC" language).

At our first meeting with Dr. Bartoshesky (Pediatric Geneticist) we asked him to tell us what we could do to give Aliza the greatest chance at success and he said, "Have more children, and lots of them." We were so concerned about her heart and other health issues and focused on starting therapies that we forgot to think about our goals as a famliy. We were greatful for the humbleness of Dr. B. He reminded us that Alizas achievements will come and we will naturally encourage those achievements without intending to, and siblings will also encourage Aliza to achieve higher and will enrich her through their achievements and growth.

I know that in all cases this is not always possible, but for our family, Aliza's siblings have helped her to become the talkative, funny and social person that she is today. They too have benefited from Aliza's experiences. When I think back five years ago, I never could have imagined how beneficial Aliza's siblings would have been to her development. I also could not have imagined how much she would be capable of achieving. She is speaking multiple word sentences with clarity, she knows her letters and numbers, her colors and shapes. She can write her name and read a few words. She is fully included in a first grade classroom and has friends who want to come over for playdates and call her to talk on the phone. I now am excited for her future accomplishments.

So the answer to my husbands question was" No, I could not have imagined this five years ago. The reality of today is so much better than what I had envisioned it to be." I remember crying to him days after Aliza was born, feeling overwhelmed and not wanting the cards that I was dealt. Now, I pray that nothing takes those cards away!

1 comment:

  1. I do that, too. I look at my son and I can't even imagine him as another person -- the person that I thought I wanted him to be when we first learned he has Down syndrome.

    Sometimes, I think that in itself is the greatest gift. I am so darn proud of him -- and I know how hard he has worked to get to where he is now! -- This is the life I was suppose to have!

    ReplyDelete