Thursday, January 15, 2009

Trevor's Thoughts on God

Trevor often asks us about God and who is God and where does he live. These are all questions that we are comfortable with answering and we really enjoy his inquisitiveness. So, while on our way to school the other day, Trevor asked a question, "Mom, is there more than one God?"

I take a deep breath and think of my response. First, I am not at all sure why he is asking this question. Many times I get anxious about my answers to his questions, but later realize that he was looking for a very simple, to the point answer. So I answer him, "Mommy and Daddy believe that there is only one God. But, other people believe in many different Gods." So I ask him, "What do you believe?" His response, " I think there are many different Gods, one for each planet!" Then he adds, "But neither of us is wrong because we will never really know will we!"

This was a very simple conversation and he came to his own conclusion and I left it at that. I am proud of him for many things, but I am most proud of him for his ability to think for himself and come to conclusions that are so profound. I hope this quality, while frustrating at times (because he argues every point and always wants to be right!), helps him to continue down whatever path he decides to take, not the path that he believes others want him to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment